A DAY AT THE LAKE
Oconomowoc means "Where the Waters Meet." Make a splash, dip your toes or glide along our beautiful lakes when you are here. There are so many ways to enjoy being around the water while you're here. We suggest these activities for the perfect day at the beach or on the water.
Sit on the water or walk around it
The downtown boardwalk along Fowler Lake is a very popular spot to sit and enjoy life on the lake. You can grab any number of drinks or food to savor while you sit on brightly colored furniture.
You can also enjoy a nice, approximately two-mile stroll around Fowler Lake. It's easy to navigate what the locals call the "Fowler loop." Which is active daily with walkers on the paths and sidewalks that lead around the lake. The route passes many of the historic mansions on Oconomowoc's Isthmus and it passes Fowler Park.
Rent a boat or personal watercraft to get on the water. You can kayaks, canoes and paddleboards for rent locally at City Beach where lifeguards will walk your craft right to the water for you to board. You can also rent locally from Sherper's, Paddleboard Specialists.
At the Beach
Two public beaches and plenty of sand await you - They've even got a playground on the sand!
City Beach offers watercraft rentals, concessions and a swim area with lifeguards.
You can also rent pontoon boats here from Buddy's Beach Bungalow and spend a full or half day on the lake.
Fishing is also a very popular thing either by boat or shoreline in Oconomowoc. If you don't have your own gear, you can grab some at local businesses, Sherper's and Fleet Farm.
Either way you look, when you're in Oconomowoc, you're near water. Enjoy exploring or events on the lake.
Visit our events page for upcoming outdoor events or activities taking place at these lovely lakes.
Events on the Lake
A few annual celebrations along the lake are:
- Bands at the Beach: Find information on host, Buddy's Beach Bungalow Facebook page, or check for concert dates in June, July and August on our VisitOcon.com calendar
- Oconomowoc American Legion Band Concerts. A gem in Oconomowoc. The Legion Band has been around for 100 years! Find them at the City Beach bandshell Wednesday evenings in summer. A truly special experience.
- Moonlit Movies and Badgerland Waterski Show: Enjoy a free waterski show in Fowler Park followed by a family friendly movie in the park on a giant screen.
- Independence Day Fireworks. Oconomowoc's annual fireworks show is of course featured, over the lake! Check the VisitOcon.com calendar to confirm the annual date. It's usually right around Independence Day or on the actual holiday.
- Kids Day. This fun beach event for kids of all ages is hosted by the City Beach lifeguards. It is always held the third Tuesday in August. Plan to head to the beach around 1pm to get ready for all the free fun and games including a sand castle building contest.
- Festival of the Arts. The Oconomowoc Festival of the Arts is a nationally renown juried art festival on Fowler Lake. It is held the third weekend in August.
- Light up the Lake. Oconomowoc's Light Up the Lake celebration occurs the Saturday of the Festival of the Arts weekend in August. It features a concert by the Oconomowoc American Legion Band at City Beach followed by a fireworks display over the lake.